Develop a Building

Are you a property owner looking to attract a tenant for your building? There are a number of resources to help you develop or renovate your space to bring in new businesses or residents.

Do you want to spruce up the outside of your building?* The Greater Hamilton Chamber of Commerce (GHCC) offers a matching grant of up to $4,000 for exterior building improvements through the Main Street IMPROVE program. Contact the Chamber for information on applying. 513-844-1500 /

*The Architectural Design Review Board (ADRB) approves all external building changes including signage, painting, lighting, doors, windows, and roofing. Main Street is a historic district, which means that business or property owners must obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness from the ADRB prior to performing any exterior work. 513-785-7350 /

Do you have move-in ready retail space?  Contact Mallory Greenham, Small Business Development Specialist with the City of Hamilton. She works with new businesses looking to open on Main Street, and she’ll try to help you find your next tenant. 513-785-7096/

Do you have upper floor residential space in need of renovation? The City of Hamilton has an Upper Floor Residential Rehabilitation Program  designed to encourage the private development needed to reactivate Main Street. This program provides a matching grant up to $20,000 per residential unit redeveloped. 513-785-7096 /

Do you have questions about getting signage or doing other building work? The City of Hamilton’s Building Department staff are always happy to help you understand the rules and regulations as set forth by the State of Ohio Building Code. ADRB and The City of Hamilton must approve all Main Street signage, and if a sign hangs over the sidewalk then there is an additional step in the process. When performing any work on a building or when changing the use of a space, permits are required, so get in touch to determine which permits are needed as early as possible.  513-785-7360 /